Re: Killing somebody in extended contest

From: John Machin <trithemius_at_...>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 12:04:40 +1100

I don't agree!

Narratively some of the fights people have are going to be the serious death is on the line type thing for the protagonists, and some are not. Think about films - some fights have minor consequences for the protagonists (out of ammo, minor impairment) but they are never *actually* staring death in the face until the Big Deal Scenes. Obviously as far as the *characters* are concerned it's risky, but the *players* are aware that the threat of death is not bearing down on them fully.

When you want there to be serious consequences for all parties it seems sensible to use the climactic consequences option. However, it also seems sensible to not make every scene climactic (which would sort of be an oxymoron afterall!).

I personally am not sure if HQ2 is a game for modelling omnipresent threats of death. I'd be inclined to use something like Burning Wheel were Fight! is always always always potentially extremely bad for everyone. 2009/10/12 L C <lightcastle_at_...>

--
John Machin