Re: Umbrella keyword and specific abilitie bonuses

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 10:54:15 -0800

Dougie

>If a Farmer 17 and a Mercenary 17 where to have a fight, the farmer
>could use his occupation skill 17 against the Mercenary 17 (since he
>has had training in the fyrd) but the Mercenary would gain a
>specific ability bonus (probably of +6). Ok.

I'd likely give this +3, assuming these are Sartarites. (Farmers from other cultures are less likely to also be warriors.)

>But what if the farmer was Farmer 17 (Stout spear +1) against
>Mercenary 17 (Sword and Shield +2). Stout spear versus Sword and
>shield sounds like a fair match (no specific ability bonus either
>way) but it means that the farmer, riffing of his Farmer skill, is
>almost a match for the Mercenary who's skill riffs of a much more
>specific umbrella skill...
>
>If all that makes sense, does anyone have any thoughts?

Sounds OK to me. They both put points into the ability, so it's important to the character.

What you're neglecting is that a mercenary is likely to have a lot more abilities to augment with. And have skills relating to what leads up to the fight (scouting, making camp, being on watch).

--

David Dunham