Trying something completely separate from one's abilities

From: Hal <hal_bowman1_at_...>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 16:36:16 -0000

This may have already been covered, but I am thinking of how to handle situations where the contest involves skills/capabilities not mentioned in a character write up at all. I have the HQ2 rules and have read through them (quickly) once, and read the examples carefully. I can understand "defaulting" to another ability, but in some cases there is really no relation (chemist in a barfight).

Not every character example in HQ2 had a "homeland" or "species" default, but I wonder if it needs to be assumed. I'd give "human adult male" as my default ability to engage in a barfight or run away from a bear.

Am I missing something? I often do.