RE: Re: Augment-only stats

From: Matthew Cole <matthew.cole_at_...>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 00:59:33 -0000

Currently I am suffering from nasty sinus pain caused by even nastier coughing caused by an even nastier second bout of viral bronchitis and so am not really in a condition to write anything but I just had to reply to this:

It's not about what "makes sense" or about player disappointment. It's about making a narrative that entertains. There is nothing else to it.

It's vital to get your players on board with this as early as possible. Explain it's not the same as other more traditional games or the way HQ1 appeared to do it. Focus on the reason for the 'freshness rule' - the entertainment of narrative.

Imagine reading an author who continually described every facet of what went into the hero's main ability. The prose would become repetitious, trite (consider the synonyms of trite: http://tinyurl.com/yb5lvyk) and frankly an excuse to over-make the point. Much like the excuse seemingly needed by power gaming players who just want their numbers bigger and maybe are yet to see what this part of the game is supposed to be about. I am tempted to say
"ban augments" for 4-5 sessions to get people used to what their stories are
like without them and then occasionally suggest one when you think it entertaining as narrative.

My players actually refuse to augment even when I suggest it these days - saving their glory for more dramatic moments - like a real book or film might.

I think the reason you have disappointed players Ash, is that they have expectations that are not inline with HQ2. When people see what augments are for (definitely not to increase chances of success) they start receiving the best reward of all.

From: HeroQuest-rules_at_yahoogroups.com [mailto:HeroQuest-rules_at_yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of L C Sent: 05 January 2010 22:40

"disappointing my players too much." (AM)

" it just constantly turns into "why do I have to find another ability when
this one makes the most sense"?" (LC)

[don't find another ability at all! don't augment at all this time]