RE: Re: flaws

From: Matthew Cole <matthew.cole_at_...>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 10:06:33 -0000

Heya

A good point. Of course, there can be no blanket rule for this.

We are blessed to not have any mini-maxer players in our group so the swap-around isn't used as a loophole. Actually I was a bit imprecise about what really happens: we haven't house-ruled this except that we've said "under some circumstances a flaw could make more narrative sense as an ability and an ability more sense as a flaw" - largely this is governed by the group as a whole and under unique narrative circumstances.

I admit I shouldn't have used "wide group of circumstances" - I'd like to correct that: "certain circumstances". It's a good idea to make such flaws/abilities that are not too easily flipped.

My knee-jerk reaction to the possibly-high rating of a flaw-turned-ability is that the hero normally is flawed to a high degree - it just happens that at this point in the story his flaw is a great benefit. Everything is relative in HQ2 anyway and the resistance target numbers change according to the story and are not fixed to "what they were last session" etc.

This seems to me a good example of why resistances based on story needs really work.

To respond specifically to the last clause of your last sentence: I certainly wouldn't want to institute a change in the HQ2 rules. Not all groups are fortunate in their membership - not everyone wants to play nice.