Re: Re: flaws

From: L C <lightcastle_at_...>
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2010 09:02:14 -0500

Matthew Cole wrote:

> Heya
>
> A good point. Of course, there can be no blanket rule for this.

Well, there is one, actually. We're just discussing not agreeing with it. ^__^

> To respond specifically to the last clause of your last sentence: I
> certainly wouldn't want to institute a change in the HQ2 rules. Not all
> groups are fortunate in their membership - not everyone wants to play
> nice.

Thing is, reading the rules as written, I interpret them to say that if you want to use it as an ability at all, pay the point. Even in char gen, taking it as an ability and not a flaw is a choice to give yourself something interesting to do, even if usually it is used against them. In other words, the "under some circumstances a flaw could make more narrative sense as an
ability and an ability more sense as a flaw" is already in there. It's a rules choice to make it that if you want it defined as a flaw and kept that way (costing no points) then you CAN'T use it as an ability ever. If you have the chance to use it as an ability narratively, then you have to pay the point and convert it.

As David says, that might be... well... flawed. It still lets you get a second ability at the highest rank for 1 point, even if it is one that will be used against you often. (Honestly, a huge number of abilities on my players' sheets get used against them all the time, so the whole "everything might be a flaw at some time" has always been in effect.)

In my current game, no one's made an attempt to convert flaws yet, so it hasn't been a problem. (My gut says one solution would be "pay a hero point to convert it *just for this scene*" or something but I'd have to think that through.)

LC