Re: Vancian Magic

From: Nikodemus Siivola <nikodemus_at_...>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 11:38:06 +0200

On 9 February 2010 02:25, Todd Gardiner <todd.gardiner_at_...> wrote:

> Is it narratively interesting to ask your players to determine their spells
> each day?

To me this is a key feature of Vancian magic, though "each day" as a limit is something I don't care for.

> with you for an adventure. But as the campaign progresses and the number of
> spells becomes large, this ends up being a time sink that drains the fun
> into the sewers. Waiting for the wizard and cleric to pick their spells, and

I know what you mean, which is why I'm trying to keep the selection process as simple as possible.

> Couldn't you just put pressures on players by saying that a minor victory
> means that they succeed with their magic, but are now nearly depleted. You
> could just do this system as a narrative constraint, rather than codifying
> as rules.

I'm pretty sure that would work fine, but it doesn't provide the agony of choice I want the system to have.

> Also, spells in this system are more like a found object, something that has
> its own ability score, something that you would cement with a hero point,

This is an interesting idea, but I find giving spells their own scores troublesome. "Everything on the same scale" in HQ makes it mostly troublefree to say yes to most abilities -- and by extension spells.

 "Can I have this conceptually cool but on the face of it totally overpowered spell?"

 "Sure."

If spells have fixed ability scores I need to be able to figure them out "fairly", and then I will have to say no to cool but overpowered spells

Not having to do either of these things is why I'm trying to make Vancian magic fit inside HQ instead of picking a random fantasy game. :)

Cheers,