Re: Re: stretches and credibility checks - anyone else having difficulty?

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_...>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 21:17:25 +0000

Ashley Munday wrote:

> The OP says he doesn't want a debate and finds using the rules
> difficult to use despite never actually playing them, I'll post this
> 'cause other people might find it handy:
>
> "OK. What about the same story, but instead of bows, spears, and
> daggers, it is Stunners, Ganglia Zappers, and Plasma Blasters? These
> things are fake. No one has the knowledge for assigning relative
> difficulties or credibility tests and no one can look it up. It has to
> be stat'ed out, at least in basic terms, by the GM."
>
> What genre are you playing? If it's Space Opera the credibility test
> is could Han Solo do it? If you don't know watch more Star Wars or
> read more E.E. Smith. Not a lot of need to stat out weapons.

It depends what you mean by 'stat out'. I would suggest that, in most sci-fi settings, it would make sense to define what the weapons (and other technology, for that matter) do in at least broad terms. The players have to have a common frame of reference, or they might have quite different ideas about what a "plasma blaster" actually is. This is the sort of thing that a Genre Pack should be covering. It doesn't necessarily need to state the range of a plasma blaster (or whatever) in metres, but at least some sort of idea is a good thing, IMO.
--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic

Not a Dead Communist: http://jrevell.blogspot.com/