Keyword abilities.

From: L C <lightcastle_at_...>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 08:25:39 -0500

 The previous conversation about stretches brought up the following

Jeff wrote:

> When it is not obvious that an ability is within the keyword, either
> disallow it (that's the credibility test in action) or call it a stretch.

This reminded me of something that has flitted around my brain some.

How do people see the three keyword options?

The "no keyword, just interpret as a broad ability" seems straightforward enough for me. There are no abilities "within the keyword" because there are no keywords.

The "keyword as package" seems to me to imply a fixed list, but I'm not sure everyone interprets it that way.

The above ruling seems most relevant to the "umbrella keyword" conception, where you are likely to discover an ability falling withing the penumbra of the keyword. Interestingly, I've had players come up with a unique keyword and then - several games later - not come up with any ability that fits under it. We've gradually decided that it is really just a broad ability and not a keyword at all.

LC