RE: Re: stretches and credibility checks - anyone else having difficulty?

From: Matthew Cole <matthew.cole_at_...>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 17:59:57 -0000

Hi there

(I have marked ### against the line to which this comment refers)

This is where your problem lies. As GM in HeroQuest we are looking at the story flow in order to decide the resistance of an obstacle. It's nothing to do with how difficult it might be to throw a knife over 20 yards or how different it would be to shoot a bow over the same distance. The resistance a story obstacle presents is entirely due to it's function *at this stage* in the ongoing story. This is why we have the pass-fail cycle recommended to us.

So, to fix your example:

player: how far is the guard?

narrator has kept account of the successes of the group and notes that this time the ebb and flow of the story demands a hard resistance.

>says< what are you thinking?

player: I want to throw my knife at him.

narrator: >narrating the situation to fit the resistance - very important< he is well within your knife throwing range but his patrol path takes him behind the trellis and decorative vines where only his legs are revealed. Your throw is either partially occluded or clear only for a short space of time.

player: okay I pull my bow, the arrows will go through the trellis more easily

narrator: yes your bow skill is more suitable for this task, you may have a bonus of +3

This doesn't use stretches but then your example doesn't either. Apologies, I haven't read the rest of the thread but your question appears stand-alone :)

Incidentally, since it seems to come up a bit: it's the description of the situation that gives the players an idea of what sort of magnitude of obstacle their characters are up against. This is also what they remember when they encounter similar obstacles in the future. Don't fall into the trap of thinking that, since the resistance was a certain value in a similar earlier contest, it has to be remain consistent. For one thing, no two situations are exactly the same but, moreover, we are trying to tell interesting stories, not simulate. It's all about the narration - which is based on what is good for the story - the resistance is decided before the narration and the narration is based on it.

If the story's development would benefit from the resistance being "nearly impossible" to beat in your latest contest and you or the players remember that something similar happened earlier with much lower resistance then you need to make sure your narration of the circumstances reflects the "nearly impossible".

I really hope this helps and am sorry it got quite long. It's quite challenging to make it succinct.

Matthew