Re: Re: Inversed Hero Points

From: Kevin McDonald <kpmcdona_at_...>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2010 09:32:36 -0400

You have a good point. In option "a" going up in the ability could be explained neatly as reflecting the reality of the character's actual experience in the story. If he is using the ability to effectively solve problems then maybe the ability *should* have a higher rating.

As for option "b" I would definitely make the ability go up on either a success or failure - the player paid for it by "bumping" the resistance after all. I might explain this as "you learn as much from failure as from success", but that sounds uncomfortably like a simulationist explanation. The more narrative explanation is that regardless of success or failure, the character still used the ability to resolve a conflict in the story and thus it should be a larger part of the character.

Note: the sim vs nar issue matters to me only because I try to make my particular game run on narrative principles and the logic gets confusing if I mix the two. In other words, mixing the two approaches makes it harder for the players to predict what they need to do to be successful.

-Kevin McD