Re: Question about Simple Contests

From: sarah.newton5_at_... <sarah.newton_at_...>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 09:31:16 -0000

> If you're one of those people that have a view that everything in the gameworld
> stays constant (i.e. a skeletons are easier than zombies which are easier than
> wights and so on or "Doors that had a resistance of X to open three days ago
> should still have X") then a lot of the techniques in HQ2 aren't what you want
> to use. They're designed to work by setting the resistance based on how
> interesting success or failure are for the bunch of players as a whole based on
> exploring the player's agendas (clumsy word, couldn't think of a better one,
> sorry!) for their characters. Having said that loads of people were happy with
> the fixed resistance model that HQ1 and Hero Wars presented so the system can
> cope with it if you want it.

Hi Ash,

Point taken about pass / fail being optional - and I think it's a good tool. I certainly don't have a problem with narrative factors determining or affecting resistance - but I would prefer the *nature* of things like creatures or challenges to be one of those narrative factors. So, Kero Fin should *generally* be harder to climb than a garden wall - that's not some simulationist decision, it's a narrative factor. If you're fighting a trollkin runt and a Zorak Zoran dark troll death lord, within the context of the narrative I'd expect the death lord to be generally tougher to *fight* (but not necessarily to chase, for example). Both resistances can be subject to pass / fail, but I wouldn't want them to always be exactly equal in a given context (such as combat). I think that differentiation is implicit in the critter writeup "Significant Ability" vs "Exceptional Ability" distinction anyway...

Cheers,

Sarah