Re: Alleged non-linearity.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 03:41:33 +0100 (BST)

Timothy Byrd:
> Okay, I've been quizzing Alex off-list, and I believe that the mastery
> special rule does not apply here, because the opponents begin with
> different numbers of masteries.

I concur. This was definitely both the intent, and is the phrasing of the rule as it stands. Though whether it's the 'right' rule is another matter...

> That means I'm back to a skill of 17 winning against a 17W2 almost
> three times as often as a skill of 2W vs. 17W2. (To be confirmed or
> denied by Alex tomorrow...)

Since it's already tomorrow, though... I could have saved myself some effort, since without the mastery special case rule in there at all, it gave the right answer in the first place (in this case)...

17 vs. 17WW:

     Win for A
             4.25%
     Tie
             4.75%
     Win for B
             91.0%

2W vs. 17WW:

     Win for A
             1.5%
     Tie
             8.5%
     Win for B
             90.0%

Thus, we do have a non-linearity, after all. But it is indeed a rather marginal one, so no-one leap from tall buildings, just yet. One way of fixing it is to change the mastery special case rule, btw -- to the way David and I had apparently both programmed it, incorrectly. Oops.

Cheers,
Alex.