Some questions about Simple Contests and Lingering Consequences

From: Aaron Stockser <nwn2.wow_at_...>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 11:27:59 -0700

Hi All,

I want to see if I've understood the mechanics correctly so I'm going to present an example:

It's a near-future espionage story, and the team is planning to infiltrate a compound. There are several ways into the base, and the Security Expert (7W) decides to research the alarm system for an Augment. He succeeds with a Minor Success (+6) giving him an effective (13W) to defeat the lock on the back door.

The Narrator determines it's a Moderate Challenge and sets the Resistance to (14) as the group has done moderately well so far and there are other ways into the complex if this attempt fails.

Our Security Expert rolls a 15, the Narrator a 13 -> A Marginal Failure for our Security Expert. In addition to failing to open the door, he now also has a (-3) Penalty on subsequent Security checks as he is doubting his abilities.

Did I get this right?

Is this how you would run/interpret the situation in your own games?

My concerns are mainly centered around the Lingering Penalty for a well-attempted plan. I know I can use a Mock Contest or Automatic Success to avoid penalizing my players, but if I've read the rules correctly then * every *failed Simple Contest results in Lingering Penalties (to greater or lesser extent) for the participants. That seems... harsh.