Re: Some questions about Simple Contests and Lingering Consequences

From: orlanthumathi <anti.spam_at_...>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 22:39:43 -0000

I am definitely in the don't always apply mechanical consequences camp. But then I don't like them very much in general. (I'm toying with alternatives.)

But in my opinion contests should have mainly narrational consequences based on the logic or goal of the situation and decided with player input. But because there is no guidance in the rules as to when to apply such things I think your interpretation is just as valid as any.

For me mechanical modifiers come into play when the stakes or framing of the contest are inherently risky, and when used should have specific focus.

Also although Lingering consequences are mentioned in the rules twice in passing there isn't really such a thing in the rules - there are Lingering Benefits and States of Adversity and they are not symmetrical.