Re: Re: Some questions about Simple Contests and Lingering Consequences

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 20:44:12 -0700

On 25 May 2011, at 15:39, orlanthumathi wrote:

> Also although Lingering consequences are mentioned in the rules twice in passing there isn't really such a thing in the rules - there are Lingering Benefits and States of Adversity and they are not symmetrical.

"Assign penalties for negative consequences according to the resisting force’s victory level, as per the States of Adversity table, p. 30. ... In an intellectual contest, everyone on the winning side learns from the experience and gains a bonus, or becomes demoralized and suffers future penalties." [HQ p. 34] And p. 112 suggests that costly sacrifices give a lingering penalty (which to me sounds better than saying your Wealth is Hurt, though I don't think there's really any difference).

As you point out, narration comes first. If you can come up with something more clever, or the mechanical penalty doesn't seem right, don't use it.

David Dunham
Glorantha/HQ/RQ page: www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein