Re: Re: DnD4e to HQ2 (was Greetings)

From: Kevin Blackburn <kevin_at_...>
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2011 08:18:16 +0100

In message <000301cc595d$86cfd5e0$946f81a0$_at_...>, Matthew Cole <matthew.cole_at_...> writes
>Pardon me but I think I recognise your point of view on a lot of these
>issues. Could it be that you made the transition from RuneQuest (2 or
>3) to HW and then HQ and are using the newer systems in the same way
>you used RQ?

Eep. Type cast.

First played RuneQuest what, circa 1981 - full painted cover version, for a few years. Probably the first game I GM'ed at all competently.

Went off playing other things, including a lot of home brew

Came to HeroWars 24th June 2000 (always do writeups of your games, a lesson I eventually learned). Still playing that campaign (indeed, two of the players were in the original RQ game, but an entirely different campaign).

Never adopted that much of HQ1 - nothing wrong with it, would perhaps have preferred it, just some of the world changes would have mashed the character concepts (e.g. shamans).

>If we think back, we have been doing relative difficulties at times,
>since the earliest days. It’s been part of the GM’s craft. At
>least, it was done during scenario prep.

Yes, but I suppose my position is I like to come to those from the point where I know in principle I could revert to actual concrete numbers either to set the scene in my head, or because I seem to be misreading player expectations and want to check.

--
Kevin Blackburn                         Kevin_at_...