Re: DnD4e to HQ2 (was Greetings)

From: Jeff <richaje_at_...>
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2011 07:24:12 -0000

> A point of curiosity - I'm guessing in games using the relative system
> that many players hold a lot of hero points in store for bumps, or
> create new skills, and put relatively little into improving skills.

Not my experience at all. My players are all over the map. One hoards, another bumps her runes, another spends it raising breakout abilities.

> I'm
> also guessing this could cause things to break down real fast if you've
> got mini-maxers or other forms of power-gamers.

Nor that. The mini-maxers I have dealt with have either come up with a strategy involving boosting keywords or runes as high as possible during character creation and then raising the more efficient breakout abilities during play OR they mini-max to the setting (building up networks of allies, secrets, cows, whatever).

> There's also issues with players who project their character as much
> more powerful than the underlying numbers would show - its not even
> deceitful, especially not when boasting is an Orlanthi trait. But for
> the GM its an issue - they may set the relative difficulty from the
> boast rather than the numbers.

In HQ2 character sheets rarely have more abilities listed than can be put on a 3x5 index card. As a GM I usually have a very good idea what a specific hero is good at.

Jeff