Re: Re: DnD4e to HQ2 (was Greetings)

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_...>
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2011 09:06:57 +0100

Ashley:

> If players don't focus their hero point spends then their character's
> best abilities won't stay ahead of resistances and they become less
> effective (although potentially more interesting).

A caveat here is that, if all the players do this, then the rules suggest that you don't advance the resistances at the normal rate (p74, second paragraph). But, yes, if some players do this, and others don't, I would expect that some of them would run into problems - although, if I'm interpreting Jeff correctly (which I may not be) this either doesn't happen, or isn't the significant issue you'd think it might be. FWIW, I'm the sort of player that doesn't like focussing my hero point spends.

> If you're trying to keep two keywords ahead of the game you're only
> going to have about 1 hero point to bump with every session.

Which, I guess, may, or may not, be an issue, depending on your play style. It certainly wouldn't be an issue for me - I bump, on average, far less than once per session. So I'm cool with that.

> What's more she gets harder to overcome. Every other session it (to
> quote Kevin) ticks up by one point.

Yes, this is another thing I don't like about HQ2, although I can see why it works for some people.

> As a first approximation characters get better at overcoming
> challenges which match their character's main focus and less able to
> overcome challenges outside that focus.

Which would be a concern for me, I guess.

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic

Not a Dead Communist: http://jrevell.blogspot.com/