Re: Abusing character creation

From: Ashley Munday <aescleal_at_...>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2011 17:01:19 +0000 (GMT)

Ask yourself the following question...

    "Who sets the resistance for a conflict?"

Yep, it aint the players, it's you, the GM. Whether it's setting the resistance directly at the time of the conflict (HQ2), working out if an ability use is a stretch (HQ2) or levying an improvisational penalty (HQ1) then the GM is in the driving seat.

In both editions of the rules you go through the same process. You work out how well the ability the player wants the character to use fits the conflict. Overly general abilities (by definition) don't fit particularly well so they're often going to get an improvisational penalty (HQ1) or be stretches (HQ2).

So if some character has "knows everything" as an ability he's not going to be as effective in conflicts with Trolls as that Garzeen Trader that's got an ability of "I know how Uz think" with the same score.

Cheers,

Ash