Re: Character creation Sartar Kingdom of Heroes

From: Ashley Munday <aescleal_at_...>
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2011 18:37:10 +0000 (GMT)

Try using a different character creation method if the list is causing trouble. FREX a character in my ongoing game used the narrative method:

>From an early age “Fearless Yan” has been inseparable from Swiftclaw the Alynx who she climbs and jumps like. She hates the lunars as she was orphaned when they invaded. She loves her aunt Cwrina from whom she learned many secrets of the hearth. She treasures her father's eversharp hunting knife and her mother's healing torque. Despite her losses she's still extrovert and happy and held in affection by the rest of the clan. She enjoys fishing and swimming and knows the Tula like the back of her hand and the names of plants and animals found in it.

She got the abilities:

That's 14 abilities and the player wasn't trying that hard to really squeeze stuff out of her 100 words. And the player wasn't that familiar with Glorantha either.

If the idea of writing a wall of text is a bit much for you (as it was for one of my players) then the "as you go" method can be good. Not much thought up front and the player knows they've got at least one use of every ability.

If you're still intent on using the list method try assigning one ability in each of the following broad areas (from the character's point of view):

So Jon Ergolfson, Starry Eyed Herder could be have:

Anyway, hope that helps you get a handle on what sort of things can be abilities and gives you a few hooks on how to cook up your own.

Cheers,

Ash