Re: Gloranthan HQ2 - Broadness of Occupational Keywords

From: SARAH <sarah.newton5_at_...>
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2011 12:58:19 -0000

Hi Ash,

I'm not talking about Specific Ability bonuses - I'm clear on that. I'm talking about Broad Ability *penalties*, which is a different thing entirely.

However, I think I'm getting closer to an answer in the rules-as-written. So, if my PC#1 has Air Rune 20, he can use that broad ability to fly, at an ability of 20. However, if PC#2 has the breakout ability Fly +1 and an Air Rune also of 20, PC#2 can fly at 1W, but PC#1 can now only fly at 14, taking the broad ability penalty - that's the niche protection within a party which the HQ2 rules are talking about on p51.

So, likewise, even though a "Weaponthane" occupational keyword is "less broad" than a clan keyword, it's still a broad ability. So, if PC#1 has Weaponthane 20, and PC#2 has Clan 20, and they're both trying to work out an outsider's clan or tribal membership from, say, his fighting style, PC#1's Weaponthane would be operating at 20, and PC#2's Clan would be operating at 17 (20 -3). And, if PC#3 happened to have a specific ability like "Identify Fighting Style 20", then PC#3 would be at 20, PC#1 at (say) 17, and PC#2 at 14.

An interesting one would be how the Harmony Rune "keyword", Healer Occupational Keyword, and "Heal Hurt" specific ability all interact when trying to heal a Hurt. I guess it's similar to the above, although I'm not sure which I'd judge as less broad, the Harmony Rune or the Healer keyword... :-)

I appreciate this is all eyeballed and judged case-by-case, and that there's no codification of these interrelationships - I'm just trying to judge the score at which PCs would use the abilities included in their Occupational Keywords if they don't have them as break-out abilities - and I'm guessing the answer is, they'd use them at full score, unless another PC has a more tightly defined equivalent specific ability which should be niche-protected.

Cheers, :-)

Sarah