Re: Starships and Lifepods

From: Bo <lorgryt_at_...>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 16:06:04 -0800

On 11/25/2011 12:35 PM, David Dunham wrote:

> On 22 Nov 2011, at 10:40, Bo Whitten wrote:
>
> > I ran across this and it got me wondering... How does combat between
> very large and small things work... To use familiar turf I will use a
> Star Wars example: between the Falcon and a Star Destroyer.
>
> One way of looking at it is that both of these ARE the same scale --
> they're both starships. I'd lean towards something more like the
> Diaspora game, and say that people are one scale and ships another.
> They don't usually interact, but if they do, it's as an augment.
>
> For example, a starship captain is trying to pick up a date at a
> cantina. The Winsome Rogue keyword would be fine, but it could be
> augmented by Merchant Ship.
>
> In another situation, the fully-statted Millenium Falcon (Merchant
> Ship 5W, Smuggler Enhancements +2, Maneuverable +3, etc.) is fleeing,
> and would use Maneuverable, augmented by the pilot.

Thanks, David.

It is one of those parts that still tickles the brain. One gun is not like another; one is more damaging... but (using HQ ideals of game play) one shooter is not like another either. So, it is about story not gear.

I think bears repeating to someone new to the system. It is the one really HUGE issue with coming into this system. It is part of years of looking at the game as a sim and not a story.

Thanks all.

Bo