Re: Starships and Lifepods

From: Bo <lorgryt_at_...>
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 11:03:51 -0800

On 11/25/2011 11:05 PM, David Dunham wrote:

> On 25 Nov 2011, at 16:06, Bo wrote:
>
> > It is one of those parts that still tickles the brain. One gun is not
> > like another; one is more damaging... but (using HQ ideals of game
> play)
> > one shooter is not like another either. So, it is about story not gear.
>
> Actually, Star Wars provides a perfect example. How many points of
> damage does the Death Star do? I hope you'd consider that a ridiculous
> question. Or at least one that never needs to be asked.
>
> So how many points of damage does a blaster do isn't quite as
> ridiculous maybe, but it's equally unnecessary. Blasters can be used
> to try to resolve story situations. Perhaps there are situations where
> Big Blaster has an advantage over Blaster, but in most story
> situations it doesn't matter.

I was thinking about that too. One way I was thinking of dealing with this (because I have gear-head friends) is to give differing weapons some modifiers (Hold-Out Blaster -3, Heavy Blaster +3, etc). But this looks like it might be a wrong approach. But I think if I do this I simply look at the contest sides (PCs have heavy blasters the opposition has regular blasters the Resistance is reduced by 3). This approach seems to be in the spirit of the rules and a lot easier on everyone involved.

(By the way, the amount of damage the Death Star does depends on the weapon used... and the system used. ;) )

Bo