Re: Re: Starships and Lifepods

From: Aaron Stockser <nwn2.wow_at_...>
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2011 22:09:45 -0800

Since this is the second person commenting on this, I want to clear up a misunderstanding...

My suggestion to Bo about banning equipment-based Abilities applied only to the initial sessions of his HQ-SW game with the group that was new to it. I don't think the rules should be changed on a global scale, and not even long-term for his campaign.

It was merely a suggestion for how to get "gear-oriented" players thinking differently about their character concepts. A Custom Tweaked-Out BlasTech DL-44, a Father's Lightsaber, the Millennium Falcon - all are completely valid and interesting Abilities as far as I'm concerned (with some iconic weapons/items like Stormbringer and the One Ring almost being required to be made as an Ability if not a Keyword!).

I just wish people would take my suggestion in context - in several threads Bo had brought up the challenge of breaking out of a Simulationist mindset and my suggestion was *only* with that in mind. I've been through a very similar experience myself. Between D&D/Traditional RPGs and MMOs it's very easy to get caught up in thinking of characters, gear, vehicles, and weapons merely as collections of stats and game-effects and my suggestion was only there as a way to explicitly break players out of that mindset.