Re: Friendly NPC Ability Scores

From: SARAH <sarah.newton5_at_...>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 16:59:04 -0000

Hi Matthew,

Sorry if I came across as snarky - I've had a couple of occasions where people have jumped to the wrong conclusions about my approach to the HQ2 rules, and doubtless came across as a little too jaded. Apologies :-)

With regard to Supporting Characters, p60 has the general statement "Supporting characters ... mostly act independently of your PC. When they do so, the Narrator rolls on their behalf, using abilities she has assigned to them."

Later on p60, an "ally" supporting character is described: "An ally's ability ratings are about as high as yours". On p61, a "patron" supporting character "will have ability ratings two or more masteries higher than yours in political, social, and resource-related abilities". Finally, a "contact" supporting character is described: "A contact's ratings in his main areas of expertise are on a par with your best rating".

So those are the Rules-As-Written; imho they make great sense in avoiding using the PFC for supporting character abilities, and (again imho) seem equally usable for "friendly NPCs" who aren't as formally integrated into a character's story as a Supporting Character (ie they're met casually, don't appear on the character sheet with a relationship, etc). It seems clear they have whatever abilities the Narrator thinks appropriate, with ratings where useful - personally in 99% of cases I'd probably just have a single score for an NPC with an implied keyword (Entarios the Supporter 12W2, etc), with maybe a bullet list of the most jazzy abilities as an aide-memoire in play.

Naturally all the above applies to friendly NPCs - "Supporting Characters" - and not opponents, who use the PFC. Another example of HQ2's very deliberate asymmetry :-)

Regarding Multiple Opponents, p43 seems to expand quite considerably on the idea of "story resistance", even to the extent that it *might* offer an alternative tool in our narrative toolbox. For example, the base assumption lf HQ2 seems to be that you roll against a resistance representing the dramatic situation at that moment - the 'story resistance'. In such a case, you would roll, once, against an obstacle, whether it was a cliff to climb, a monster to kill, or a dozen warriors to drive from the walls. Each of those three obstacles would have its own resistance, determined by the pass/fail cycle, and you'd roll one single contest (either simple or extended).

The Multiple Opponent rules, however, suggest that the Narrator can (should?) divvy up the opposition constituting an obstacle into separate groups - the tacit assumption is that the dozen warriors above would become a dozen separate opponents, but there's no reason you couldn't divvy into 4 groups of 3, 2 groups of 6, whatever. But, according to p43, "you take part in a number of contests equal to the number of opponents", suffering Multiple Opponent penalties as appropriate. Implicit in this is that each of those contests would use effectively the same resistance, as determined by the PFC, but the Narrator might describe each attack differently (referencing her understanding of the opponent's abilities - magic, weapons, claws, etc), and therefore letting the PC use different abilities in each case (they're separate contests, remember).

Again, that's what the RAW say, and my take on what they imply. Personally I'd use the single PFC resistance covering all 12 warriors for a simple contest mid-session where it wasn't dramatically all that crucial (maybe an event during a siege where the hero is trying to do something else and the 12 warriors are simply an aggravation); then I'd use the 12 separate contests (or permutations thereof - if they were trollkin I might have, say, 3 groups of 4, like FATE minions) where the situation was dramatically important, and use the Multiple Opponent Penalty rules plus the PFC to determine each opponent's (or group's) resistance.

IMHO there does seem to be two separate but related rules here: a single story resistance vs possible multiple opponent resistances, but I like the extra choice; it provides for tactical choices both for Narrator and players.

That's my take so far, anyway :-)

Cheers!

Sarah

ps - my blog's at sarahnewtonwriter.com, click on the 'Meme Machine' tab & excuse the ramblings ;)