Re: Messy combat.

From: Frank Rafaelsen <rafael_at_...>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 13:21:32 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 6 Jun 2000, Michael Cule wrote:

> Somebody said to me some way back in the discussion (can't find the
> exact quote now) that the results of combat that HW allows are fairly
> much what happens (someone gets defeated and maybe badly hurt and maybe
> dead), so what (he wanted to know) was there to complain about. And then
> this evening I run a RQ session that I *know* would be hell on earth to
> try with straight HW.

That would be me :)

> Now by my calculations the focus of the scene shifted from straight
> forward combat (and sometimes there *are* times when you can't do a damn
> thing to one another) to the first Telmori's relationship with the
> second, to the idiot trying (and failing) to get a magical edge on his
> sword, to the idiot running away, to the idiot climbing a tree. Now
> given that it wasn't the skill we started with that decided the result
> and the nature of the contest being mostly away from the initial skill
> how the galloping Norah would I run something like that with a HW
> extended combat?

I'm not exactly the one to answer this since I haven't gotten my copy of the rules. But if I were to run this combat with my players from the rules synopsis I would either just let a player switch active skill and intent (from hurt him, to run away) while keeping the action points from the original skill. I've got no problem with it being damn hard to run away from someone who is about to gut you with his weapon (a disadvantage in combat could very well mean a disadvantage in running away). Or I would let a player start a new contest if he manges to win a quick contest with a relevant ability. It depends.

On the point that there are times when people are unable to affect each other I agree that it is possible in RQ. Although I'm not sure I think it should be possible. Or rather, if that is the case then there is no contest.

Ha en god dag!
Frank Rafaelsen