Re: Re: Fetishes

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 11:24:06 -0400

James Turner wrote:

> Wulf:
> >On the other hand, if you do mean the fetish itself, how specific it
> >has to be to hold a given spirit is up to your Narrator. You could
> >have a hunting fetish, which could hold a Sneaky Approach spirit, a
> >Wait For Hours spirit, a Keen Senses spirit, etc. (one of them!).
>
> If you go and capture say a leopard spirit what sort of fetish do you end up
> with?
> What about an ancestor spirit who was a great hunter?

Possibly. IF your tradition likes you binding ancestors like that. I'd think you might need a bit of bone or something sacred to that ancestor (one of his arrowheads)

A leopard spirit could have many, many potnetial uses, defined by the fetish -- remember, you only get one ability when you create the fetish. Sort of like having a CD player with many CDs -- you can only use/listen to one at a time. Off the top of my head I would say that you could get Run Fast, Pounce, Ambush, Claw and Bite, See In Dark abilities from it, to name just a few -- quite possibly at different levels. If you intergrated the spirit, you'd have to pick ONE.

> If a player shaman says he wants to make a fetish to help him hunt how would
> you deal with it?
> I had envisioned something like the above examples.

Its based on two things - What sort of spirit he wants the feitsh to eventually hold. And what sort thing the fetish should do. But from a gaming standpoint, the type of fetish is important, be it Combat, Hunting, whatever. Personally, I make fetishes be a bit more specific than these broad categories and let my players work out just what works.

For example of two different "Combat" fetishes contain a "Keen Arrow" and a "Leaping Charge" One's from an ancestor -- who was an archer and is the above mentioned arrowhead and the other is a lion spirit in a fetish made from claws and teeth of a lion (preferably one killed by the user of the fetish)

> (what does a 'wait for hours' spirit look like?)

Something that is patient, quiet and motionless. A rock, perhaps. Or a small carving of a man with big eyes. Or even some rabbit fur or a medicine bag with all these things together, properly prepared.

Jeff