Re: Non-combat coup de grace

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 10:35:13 -0400

> Yes, that is correct (or should be).
> >seem bizarre.
>
> A parting shot is about the only way to ever getting a complete
> victory, should you really need one. And often you don't need a
> complete victory, so why risk a parting shot? If you lose you can be
> reduced to 0 or less yourself, especially if you have to make, say, a
> 30 AP bid to get a complete victory.

This is very true. And the problem with going for a parting shot socially is that you can look like a bully, you can incense the opponent to renewed vigor or your hasty and over powering argument has a rather fatal flaw that makes YOU look like an idiot.

> Also, parting shots are possible only in extended contests, so
> parting shots aren't likely to be very common. They aren't in my
> games at least.

This is true. Extended contests in my game are rare outside of combat. However, the last time we used it was to debate whether or not to send an expedition off to Whitewall or to send the whole Fyrd.... So, a complete defeat was useful in that it swung the dissenters around to the 'rationalists' point of view or totally discredited the 'war at any cost' party.... for the foreseeable future.

Off to Whitewall. We're going to massacre some tourists on the way... =)

Jeff
Crucifixion: A cure for Bagpipes!