From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 17:06:58 -0000

Thom wrote:
> You missed 3a. Go directly to the people who you feel wronged you
>and sort it out without going to a third party. This is likely to
>happen between non-feuding clans because it may well be cheaper (you
>don't have to gift the tribal chief, lawspeaker etc.), particularly
>if the clan concerned are known for their honour, generosity etc.
>The Orlanthi equivalent of an out of court settlement.

Agreed and well pointed out. In addition where there is no court of jurisdiction over both of you this is the only way to go to avpoid violence ("There is always another way"). Peace in feuds is often settled by the payment of weregilds as part of the peace agreement, not because they are imposed by the court. I suspect peace treaties are one of the few occasions where a king's weregild might paid.