Re: Wealth

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 11:03:39 -0000

As opposed to "I Roll my Bargaining 55% to get the sword at a discount" you mean. The rules should always be used as a tool to help the roleplaying, not as a replacement for them. I would say the "wealth" rules better capture the bargaining and haggling than the RQ rules myself...

> Against whom are you bargaining? Another player, or against the
gamemaster?
> Do you think gamemasters like spending all day arguing with or
bargaining
> against every one of their players,

or worse, One player who wants to haggle over the price of every single piece of kit he wants to buy, while the rest of the group are getting bored as they want to get down the fighting/exploring/wooing/sneaking/reciting epic poetry that will be the focus of tonights adventure...

 just so the PCs can get prepared to
> start the adventure, while letting their plans for the actual
adventure go
> nowhere?

This is where HeroWars should come into it's own. Player wants to stock up before heading out across Prax to Pavis - Make a Simple "Wealth" roll against the resistance of his purchases.

Player wants to shop around for a good bargain before leaving for Dagori Inkarth to see Cragspider. Augment his Wealth with "Bargain", "Haggle", or maybe "Know local shops", or "Always compares prices" and use a simple contest.

Party are visiting the Lunar Market in Corflu and want to try and haggle with the Etyries Traders for some exotic Goods - Run it as an extended contest and haggle for all your worth until someone runs out of Action Points. If it is the PC's they have to loose wealth or forgo the purchase (and the more they loose buy the more it will cost them). If it is the merchant they get a good price and don't loose (as much) wealth - and may even get something else thrown in "... I got the exotic sex toys for Sor-Eels wife, and got him to throw in some Erotic Troll Sculpture that we can sell on in The Rubble..."