Re: Pantheon Worship; Praxian archers

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2000 08:15:23 -0700

Ian asked

> just a thought, but could it be worth actually creating benefits for a
> Pantheon Initiate?

They can already ask for divine aid by rolling their Worship <x> Pantheon ability... You'll notice that this ability has a cap to prevent its abuse.

Richard Melvin

> >Don't forget that much of the time it is impossible to close with the
> >archers -- I'm talking about the case of mounted archers like Grazers
> >or Praxians. These guys already have a huge advantage, and I see no
> >reason in the game to give them further benefits like edges.
>
> I'm not following you here. What huge advantage does the Praxian have if
> you don't give them an edge?

The advantage being that you, on foot, will never close. Unless you go at them with magic, any defeat they suffer in an archery contest against you isn't going to have any significant impact on them. But you could be killed.

Giving an edge to mounted archers only exaggerates their advantage -- they will still kill you but now the chance of them running out of AP is miniscule. And you still can't close. (I *would* give them a large edge [or maybe you a large handicap] in a contest of closing, since they are on speedy steeds which can move at the same time as the rider fires arrows. It's not like you can use the terrain of Prax to your advantage in most areas.)

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein