Subject: Re: assassination

From: t.s.baguley_at_...
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 11:15:48 +0100

> From: Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_...>
>Subject: Re: assassination
>
>We had a somewhat similar situation last session. The heroes set up
>an ambush. The Yinkin ambusher had plenty of abilities to rack up
>augmentations. IIRC, I let the Yinkin use his Cloak of Darkness item
>as an augmentation, and I've relaxed the rule of allowing only one
>augment. The other hero (an Odayla) tried to make a trap at the
>ambuscade, to further hinder the ambushee: another augment to the
>ambusher's ability (to no effect, it transpired). Relaxing that rule
>allows the Narrator to include all the preparations the
>assasin/ambusher wishes to use.
>
>But the most important thing in the ambush was that the ambusher
>initiated the contest, and so limited the choice of abilities the
>ambushee (a draugr) could use. I ruled that the draugr's large Close
>Combat (Wrestle) was inappropriate; what's needed is a Perceptive or
>Quick Reactions ability. So the poor draugr had to defend the
>initial attack with a default ability of 6, with 6 APs. The Yinkin
>bid high, with the result of an initial Hurt. A Coup de Grace in the
>next round completed the ambush.

Hi Benedict,

I think this is a good example of how the narrator should select defensive abilities. It rewards good planning and roleplaying. I had a similar (albeit clearer) situation in my last session. The Odaylan was charged down by two dog-men who defended with their running ability as he loosed arrows at them. A little later in the session, while the other PCs were in close combat he glimpsed a dog-man watching from the tower (he'd decided to watch the tower) and fired a snapshot. The dog-man was stationary so I only gave a defense of 6 (the Odaylan criticaled and he failed and fell dead with an arrow through his head). (BTW I've found that for most situations resolving ranged combat as simple contests works well and makes missile weapons potent but not over-powerful).

Thom