Re: Spit Down Wind

From: Christoph Kohring <ChOK_at_...>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 12:01:47 +0200

> Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 19:13:41 +0100
> From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
> Subject: Re: Re: Spit Down Wind

> Yes, yes, yes, exactly the same as every other Extended Contest. How
> very ho-hum :) And THAT was the origin of this thread - not what Spit
> Down Wind DOES, but how to make it, and other Feats, more original in
> their execution and effects. Simple Contests are more original,
> getting a specific effect from a specific feat, there and then,
> whereas Extended Contests, unless you use the same Feat continuously,
> are just a matter of draining AP down by whatever means until,
> finally!, you get an effect. Now don't get me wrong, I much favour
> Extended, always have, and I know every exchange can be described, but
> lets foster some creativity here. How would YOU pep up an Extended
> Contest to more than just a constant AP drain?

Do I understand you well ? For you creativity & originality mean having *specific* game mechanics for, in this case, "Spit Down Wind". Is that it ?

For me creativity means using it sometimes in combat to get augmentations against "wind" beings, to use it at other times in simple contests & in different situations, when some suspense is needed or the contest is important, to use it in an extended contest. It also means using it to suppress winds, tornadoes, storms, etc... but not to eliminate clouds, rain & snow or perhaps only with a heavy penalty. It means that you can use it against flyers who use the wind to either ground them or crash them. And it probably also means something else altogether... But the mechanics always remain the same: extended contests, simple contests or augmentations.

For contrast, let's consider the Ernalda the Leader "Force Flier to Ground" feat. It can be used against *all* flyers (solar, mystic, birds, Vanganthi, whatever...). It doesn't hurt them (they don't crash down for a last embrace with Ernalda !). You can't use it in combat to get augmentations *except* if you opponent is actually flying. But as for the mechanics, they are the same as for "Spit Down wind" & that's a *good* thing, isn't it ?!?

Another mechanical matter is that magic can be used beyond the range of missile weapons, so that an Urvairini whose magic is lower than his archery can maybe still bring down an escaping Windthane who has just reached the maximum range for bows. What is creative is for the player of the hero to think of it at the time, during play.

Is the above still very ho-hum ?!? Don't think so, but as always YHWMV/YGMV... ;o)

Christoph

Issaries, Inc.: Products of *Your* Imagination !!!

P.S.: If, for some contests, you expect difficulty in describing them in an extended form then use a simple contest or leave the description to the players !!! QED (?) Simple contests are not "more original", they just take less time to play, are easier to describe, give less suspense & do not allow the participants to build some strategy which of course they can when resolving an *extended* contest. :o)