Re: Advanced Magic Questions

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 16:14:34 -0700

> >>So the Ancestor Worship temple in KoDP is a temple to whom?
> >
> >Your ancestors worshipped in a theistic manner?
>
> But how do you contact a non-deitific entity in this manner? And how
> can your ancestors grant you magical effects in a theistic manner? In
> KoDP they can do Divination (not a problem, I agree, once you have
> contacted them), Protection and Summons of Evil. Obviously there is no
> one-to-one correlation between KoDP and HW, but how can your Ancestors
> grant Theistic magic, be it Feats or Affinities?

They became heroes before Death, and are worshipped after, making them very minor godlings, able to pass on things they knew "back before". To a theist, ancestor worship is a Hero Cult (of the 10% resource type). What they can "pass on" are the feats/skills they learned to suitably high levels before death. This is why we revere our ancestors.

RR