Re: Re: if feats are re-enactments of past heroic deeds....

From: philip.hibbs_at_...
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 11:11:00 +0100

SDempsey:
>In game terms, I would let a Player make up a Feat that is
>then performed by his PC at the cost of some hero points,
>probably 6 for a new Feat gained out of game time.

That's hideously expensive! (IMO)

>Their skill would only be 12 too, subject
>to augmentation from other appropriate skills
>(and maybe even that Feat's Affinity).

You should never have separate target numbers for a feat that is part of an affinity. Feats can be bought individually from friendly cults if the character has no access to the affinity, but once you buy the affinity, all feats are based on that affinity's target number - at full value for a devotee's purchased feats, or at -n for initiates or devotees non-purchased feats. Of course, you're free to impliment any house rules you wish, but you're going back to a "listed spells only, anything that isn't in the official lists is too expensive to consider" system.

PS: The -n for non-purchased feats is subject to some debate, variously reported as -3, -5 and -10. The number the narrator picks basically determines how powerful magic is to non-devotees in your campaign.

Philip Hibbs http://www.snark.freeserve.co.uk/ Opinions expressed may not even be my own, let alone those of any organisations, nations, species, or schools of thought to which I may be affiliated.