Re: Wanasgard, a Grazer example

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 14:55:36 -0000

> Thanks David

>From me too.

> > She excels at {star lore} and {sewing}. Wanasgard's sword [Dragon
> > Point] (won [gambling]) can heal him.
>
> I note that "Can heal him" isn't specified in the list of abilities
> presumably it does this at the rating you have for Dragonpoint
under
> Equipment?

I assume so too, but I would have specified this on the character sheet (as I would any special items ONCE I had defined them - until then just a fancy name will do).

> > [time] is unerring, and he's a fine [judge of character]. He can
> > [start fires with a glance].
>
> - Which presumably is the Integrated Spirit "Fire Starter", which
is
> separate from the 5 (one use) fetishes he gets from being an
Animist,
> which I note you don't mention anywhere in the write up... I'd
sort
> of assumed the 5 fetishes was some sort of limit rather like the
time
> requirement of a theists devotee/initiate keywords, rather than a
> bonus on top of the 100 words.

I'd agree with David here, animists get little enough for their magic. For just saying 'He worships Orlanth' a theist can get unlimited uses of a potentially unlimited (with improvisation) number of magical effects. The animist gets one use per day of 5...

>This means, I suppose that one could
> write up a Telmori character and specifically mention that he has 3
> integrated wolf-spirits, and still get the 5 fetishes "for free"?

Yup.

The various writeups I've seen also make quite a few assumptions - sensible ones, like assuming 'Grazer' as a cultural keyword here, assuming 'Heortling' elsewhere - which make sense if you are creating a 'standard' background character for the campaign. These save wordage, and allow more individualising of characters.

Wulf