Re: Tornadoes

From: Thom Baguley <t.s.baguley_at_...>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 18:02:48 +0000

> From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
>Subject: Re: Tornadoes
>
>On Mon, 16 Oct 2000 15:27:11 -0400, Andrew Barton
><AndrewBarton_at_...> wrote:
>
>>When was the last time a tornado in the UK killed or injured anyone, or
>>even did any property damage?
>
>This is an old thread by now, but last night a tornado crossed Bognor
>Regis in southern England, threw mobile homes around, ripped off some
>roofs, injured 5 and killed one (although I'm not sure that death was
>due to the tornado, we had gale force winds over most of the country).
>More gale & storm force winds are expected tonight, speeds up to 90
>mph...
>
>I believe Prince Albert's (Queen Victoria's husband) last words were
>"Bugger Bognor!" - sounds like his wish has come true...
>
>Wulf

The news reports i heard mentioned that Britain has more tornadoes per square mile than any where else in the world (this might not be true - I suspect a "reported" was dropped given we have such a high population density).

(Given the turn of events I suggest we turn the topic to warm summers, large payrises and free beer to see if we can conjure those up too ...)

Thom