re: Using feats

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 12:21:10 -0800

Markus

>I like the idea of
>defining only one use for a feat - EITHER enhancing a blade OR
>creating a blade out of fire. Vary it from one temple to another,
>or whatever, but if the name of the feat is vague, fix it.
>Giving feats too much flexibility doesn't feel right. That's what
>affinities are for.

Feats are pretty flexible too -- that's what improvisational modifiers are for.

I'm not going to argue Fireblade, but I do know that almost every feat I've thought about can be used both to augment or to do something (Swordhelp is the exception that always comes to mind).

Then again, most abilities can be used the same way, either in their own right or to augment.

> Well, flames can look a bit like blades... ;)

This could lead one to accept the multiple use for the feat... Generally, you get better results by augmenting, so it's not like most people *would* be using Fireblade without a sword.

>Well, if you're using improvisation modifiers, why tie it to
>a feat? Why not simply use the Wind Affinity?

Because you don't use raw affinities to get an effect. You need to use a feat (even it's improvised).

There's a difference between using a loosely defined feat in a flexible way, and improvising from a very broadly defined affinity.

>One couldn't use a Salmon Jump feat on dry ground, but could well
>improvise a magnificent leap from one's movement affinity?

Actually, I don't see why you couldn't. I think you're falling into the trap Roderick mentioned of reading too much into the feat names. (I think this was a specific feat listed in Irish sagas, and there was never any mention of needing to be in water.)

>Do devotees
>continue to create new feats all the time? I thought feats were limited
>examples of magical actions, perhaps area-related, but couldn't be
>invented my just any devotee...?

Yes, they can. And I believe they aren't necessarily just remembered, they could be true in-character improvisations. Most would be enacting myths known to the character but not the player, of course.

Erik

>And why are we shelling out dough for culture books, if not for
>the "special feats" that they promise. ;--)

 From what I've seen, there should be good reason.

David Dunham dunham_at_...
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein