Re: Fireblade

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2000 10:47:00 -0000

"someone has the abilities cc 15w3 and fire magic 17"

> Some people are saying that creating a sword of fire from the
fireblade feat
> would mean you attack using your fire ability of 17.
> So this combat monster has now armed himself with a flaming magical
sword
> and he becomes rubbish at combat????

There are three ways to use a Fireblade, I would rule.

  1. Augment your real sword with flame. You'd get maybe a +4 Edge, and use normal CC ability.
  2. Create a Blade from thick air (or thin air if there's no thick stuff available), and wield it as a sword. Use the augment rules to generate an Edge for the blade of fire (probably about ^4 again), but wield it with CC, at a small Improv Penalty - you are creating as close to a real sword as you can, using it as a real sword, so maybe use CC -3 or -5.
  3. Wield the flame as a flickering, flashing blade of pure fire, not resembling a sword at all, not hand-held, moved by your mind alone. This one WOULD use the Fire ability of 17, although a kind Narrator might let you augment with your CC (which could get you a nice +12 or so Bonus). I might not allow parrying this one, your opponent would have to dodge or resist magic.

Wulf