Re: Narative Vs Simulationist Tracking

From: JEFFREY KYER <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 16:37:51 -0000

> rolled for the weather when he started writing The Tempest? I don't
> think so.

What an interesting image. I'm sure there's a Murphy's Rules cartoon in there.

> I actualy disagree quite strongly with Robin's approach to narative
> gaming. To me, the way in which the players try to tackle a problem
> and describe their character's actions should have a strong
influence
> on the outcome of a contest. Fortunately HW provides plenty of
mechanisms
> for this. The AP bid reflects the riskyness on a character's
actions,
> while appropriateness modifiers and ability enhancements can change
the
> target number rolled against.

This is a very good point and reflects my views as well. HW is good for problemsolving at a rather high order. All that augmenting and clever thinking is duly rewarded and its reflected in the rules I remember D&D where you couldn't do squat to improve your chances with some clarity.

> The information contained in your tables is good and usefull
information,
> but from a narative point of view, I think it's the wrong way round.
> Your table says that if the players are in terrain the modifier is

And of course the all important -- does the fellow being tracked want to be found? At that point its a Stealth or Tracking/hide trail vs Tracking contest. In that case, I'd take the situational modifiers into account but it becomes much more dependant on the target's ability to conceal their trail.

Jeff