Follower Tweaks Re: Sundry rules questions for demo

From: JEFFREY KYER <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 18:40:01 -0000

Actually, this is not quite the case -- for a starting hero, the two keywords are 17 and 13 respectively. These are the exact same default levels that all heroes start their keywords and "freebies" at.

This makes them starting "level" (god how I hate that phrase!) characters....

> players to start with followers better than the default 17 by using
their
> skill bumps, just like they can for anything else written on the
character

I think that making a follower's keyword that high is wise -- what your friends really want in that case is an _Ally_ at a high level. Take Joe Blow as an Ally at the level you require as he's going to be as tough as you and show up frequently -- with the 1w or 5w you've used.

What your homebrew does is gives the hero access to a keyword at a higher level than his own! That's not quite right. And with the follower automatically going up at a rate being -8/-12 of the character's highest. Unless you don't raise them until the character's highest ability is at that 1w or 5w level.

But... they are _followers_ not leaders. Henchmen, spearcarriers, redshirts and friends of the hero. They shouldn't be as good as they are.

> sheet. I then allow followers to be improved by spending hero
points. I
> don't allow automatic increases in skills otherwise. If a follower
dies,
> their replacement is of 'similar' level to the lost one.

I suppose. It seems like it rather limits followers. And at the higher end of the game, decent followers are essential to survival. Every hero has his supporting band, afterall.

> This does provide yet another drain on hero points, but I don't
bother
> with the rules for cementing items, and give a lot of appropriate
> abilities out for free after adventures - mainly relationships.

Jeff