Re: Shields, spears, weapons

From: M.Dawson <mdawson_at_...>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 04:42:18 -0000

In my SCA experience, this is not true. 2H spears are deadly in skirmish melee. In 1 on 1 fighting, it is nearly impossible for the spearman to keep anyone with a shorter weapon from closing on him.

Why? Because it is harder to run backwards than forwards. The only way to "keep the swordsman at bay with reach" is to back up. If you let the swordsman (or any shorter weapon user) get inside your point, you're left with an overly-long quarterstaff because you have to raise your point to defend yourself. Or else back up.

Now, as usual, I have to add my standard disclaimer that I know SCA combat does not simulate real combat--since it doesn't allow tripping, grappling, or attacks below the knee, nor does the psychology of fear play that large a role.

Even so, I can't imagine two equally skilled Real world opponents coming out even if one had a 2H spear and the other had a greatsword/katana/sword&shield/shorter weapon.

The Swiss trained greatswordsmen and halberdiers to hack the heads off of opposing spears.

And for Glorantha, good luck using your 2H spear in a confined space with limited maneuver room.

Mike