Re: Shields, spears, weapons

From: reinierd_at_...
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 10:54:17 -0000

Mike Dawson wrote:
>2H spears are deadly in skirmish melee. In 1 on 1 fighting, it is nearly impossible for the spearman to keep anyone with a shorter weapon from closing on him.
>
> Why? Because it is harder to run backwards than forwards. The only
way to "keep the swordsman at bay with reach" is to back up. If you let the swordsman (or any shorter weapon user) get inside your point, you're left with an overly-long quarterstaff because you have to raise your point to defend yourself. Or else back up.

> Now, as usual, I have to add my standard disclaimer that I know
SCA combat does not simulate real combat--since it doesn't allow tripping, grappling, or attacks below the knee, nor does the psychology of fear play that large a role.

Thanks for your insight, Mike. At some point this devolves into a "Superman vs Hulk" debate, but I figure as long as I or someone else is learning something, it's worth having. Fwiw, I would rather face another swordsman than a spearman.

> The Swiss trained greatswordsmen and halberdiers to hack the heads
off of opposing spears.

Always wondered about these weapons. Can you actually get enough momentum with a halberd to do any real damage? And aren't those greatswords really slow?

Check out "Hidden Fortress" on video/DVD some time: it's a good flick with good scenario hooks and a really interesting sword vs spear duel.