Re: Shields, spears, weapons

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 16:14:11 -0000

> > Now, as usual, I have to add my standard disclaimer that I know
> SCA combat does not simulate real combat--since it doesn't allow
> tripping, grappling, or attacks below the knee, nor does the
> psychology of fear play that large a role.
>
> Thanks for your insight, Mike. At some point this devolves into
> a "Superman vs Hulk" debate, but I figure as long as I or someone
> else is learning something, it's worth having. Fwiw, I would rather
> face another swordsman than a spearman.

I've seen this same discussion a dozen times in a dozen different forums (forae?), and it always degenerates into "My way is better than your way!" - which I don't always resist myself. I suggest we all get together sometime with our respective weapons, armour & techniques, and see which of us survives to tell the tale :)

Personally, I'll be on the fringes of the woods a hundred yards off with my Longbow...

Wulf