Re: OT: Shameless plug and rule variant

From: jeff.kyer_at_...
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 16:16:03 -0000

Okay. For a moment, I thought you were converting Glorantha to L5R. Yes, I think its very doable -- the five (or six!) elemental schools of magic can be treated as grimoires, with each school having its own set of spells. I don't see feats being improvised unless you wish to treat the combat techinques as affinties or magical talents.

> through the clan lineages and, of course, the five elements. So I
expect
> that instead of a physical skills/mentals skills/ etc section on the
> charsheet, I'll break the charsheet up by Ring association. Indeed,
its
> because HW handles such herioc scales that I'd like to try the
hybrid. Only
> thing I'm concerned about is modelling iaijitsu in HW, as it kinda
demands a
> single-roll mechanic.

Iajitsu? I would have to agree. The ritual one-strike dule of Rokuani Samuri IS a single action. And preserves the flavor of the duel. Of course, the results are pretty traumatic. Focus could be treated as spending multiple hero-points or something -- I DO like the bidding system used in the duels. It gives a good 'Kurosawa' feeling.

What will you do about the minor clans? =) They are a sort of hobby of mine. At least, the Fox and Mantis are.

Jeff