Re: Re: How do edges and handicaps work?

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 19:18:53 +0000

On Thu, 8 Feb 2001 09:17:19 -0800, "Roderick and Ellen Robertson" <rjremr_at_sierratel.com> wrote:

>> However, Wulf Corbett, who is my best tester, disagrees and believes
>> that, at least in some cases, the opponent's edge should be included
>> in the calculation.
>
>Possibly he means that bit about edges are subtracted from each other before
>the bid - (page 136, last paragraph before the example). This is a "speed-up
>the contest" option.

Actually, what I was thinking of was close to this, possibly if I said 'The Actor's Weapon Rank and the Opponent's Armour Rank, and/or any edge (as specified p134 and associated Augmentation rules) enhancing or duplicating these, are included where the Actor succeeds. No Rank, augmentation or Edge is applied when the Actor fails'? I was using 'edge' as it's used in the Augment table, applying to one ability of one character, rather than 'Edge' as a single value derived from comparing Actor to Opponent.

Possibly I'm getting something fundamentally wrong. Let me give an example of how I see things working.
I have a Sword with Rank 4 (it's a good one), and Armour & Shield Rank 3. I augment my sword with Flickering Blade for an edge of +4. My opponent has a Maul of Rank 5, and Armour of Rank 4 (Troll, thick skin). He augments his armour with Shield Of Darkness (or whatever) to give an extra +6 edge.
I figure that means I have an offensive 'edge' (or whatever) of ^8, he has a defensive 'edge' of ^10. Therefore the net Edge is ^-2 when I hit him. No edge, Edge or augment affects the AP loss if I fail.

Is this correct? If NOT, how can I apply any AP-affecting augmentation in defence? Maybe a better definition of the word 'edge' as used in the rules? What SHOULD the column marked 'Edge' be on the table, p143?

>So, just to give you a complete possibility list of edges...
>Joe has a ^3. Joe attacks and bids 5. Joe's die roll is listed first, then
>Jim's. It doesn't matter what Jim's edge (or handicap) is, as he is not the
>actor.

What if Jim is using Armour of Woad to reduce his AP loss?

>Weapons vrs armor are a slightly different matter

that's the one!

>Here we have the possibility of both people having edges against each other
>(two naked orlanthi with 2-handed swords).

What happened to the armour? You led into exactly my point, then changed the example!

>There has been some discussion on the list about using a defender's weapon
>edge when he wins the exchange ("As he swings I stop-thrust to his chest. I
>rolled a Critical, he rolled a fumble - he runs onto my blade. Whaddya mean
>my weapon rank doesn't count?") but this is not an official rule. (It may be
>what Wulf was thinking of).

Nope. I did support it originally, but I accepted that it was not the official rule.

Wulf