Re: Re: How do edges and handicaps work?

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 15:35:46 +0000

On Sun, 11 Feb 2001 14:53:49 -0000, "Charles Corrigan" <glorantha_at_indigost.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Sorry, I'm still lost as to what I should put in my program - looking
>after wife and child with colds has turned my brain to mush (or
>possibly my own cold did it without the need for further excuses).

>Am I to understand that
>
>1 - In a contest round, only the actor/bidders edge is considered and
>only when the actor/bidder wins
>
>except
>
>2 - If the opposer/non-bidder takes an edge on a "defensive" skill,
>then that edge should be treated as a handicap on the actor/bidder.

I hesitate to once more put my own interpretation forward, however...

In an extended contest,
1) If the Actor/bidder wins, add his weapon Rank and any offensive edge (from augmentation or any other source allowed by the narrator), then subtract the opponent's armour Rank and any defensive edge. The difference between the Actor's and Opponent's edge is also known as the Edge, and for this reason it could be said that only the Actor's Edge is used (but his Edge is calculated from comparing his and his Opponent's edges). (Note that with table-top you should calculate this final total beforehand to save time, but that's not necessary on a computer program).
2) If the Actor/bidder loses the AP are not adjusted by any Ranks or edges.
In either case, any multiplication comes AFTER edge adjustment.

That's what I've always understood (barring a few periods of uncertainty), and what I believe was supported by this thread.

Wulf