Re: Re: archery; Four Magic Weapons

From: Hangnail <hangnail_at_...>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 21:24:44 -0500

On Sun, 11 Feb 2001 15:50:44 -0800
David Dunham <david_at_...> wrote:

> "Hangnail"
>
> > While the action points lends great to melee combat, It seems
> > that missile combat would be hard to describe in such an exchange
> > (unless you were to use the optional grevious wound rules). I actually
>
> You could require every bid to be at least 7, and turn 7 AP into a -1 wound.
>
> Of course, if the missile combat precedes melee, reducing AP is reasonable.
>
> Or are you just worried about narrating "the arrow grazes your left leg?"

Something like that. With a duel of sorts where the AP system excells, the mechanics encourage great roleplaying with the wagering and expense of APs providing great cues for weaker roleplayers. Its an awesome concept.

With missile weapons (like bows) its hard to capture what is happening unless you use grevious wounds rules, or reduce missile weapons to simple contests with no action points. Either you hit or you miss. If you hit you determine how good. The extended contest allows those in the negatives to 'come back' and get a second wind. This might make missile combat awkard.

I guess its an element of timing. When you let an arrow fly its pretty much instantaneous; you hit or miss. Melee combat is an action that takes longer and is frought with more consequences.

Guess I'll have to do some playtesting;)