Re: LOT5R (Honour + Glory)

From: dpirko_at_...
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 21:57:36 -0000

"Jeff" <jeff.kyer_at_c...> wrote:

>> "Doji Kenjutsu" would be Skill in one's Fire Ring,

It wouldn't be too hard to set up five elemental categories for skills. Getting the Trait-split right might be a little harder.

Getting the Trait-split right might not be our primary (or even a relevant) concern.

> One thing I DID notice in L5R is that, despite the prevalence of
gods, there is very little on religion and not much on spirituality.

The game is made by secular people for a secular audience. Gods are "interesting local colour" in most games (and in sooth I've seen them played as "spell-lists" in RQ).

Honour. I understand this breaks the simple "Keyword" tradition of HW, but...

If we treat honour as a simple scale from 1 to 10W2 (or perhaps 0 to 19W4) we can attach a number to each Family and School.

Ex. Being a member of the Akodo family means your Honour is set at 20, being a student of the Akodo Tactical school adds 15 Honour, so a member of both starts with 15w Honour.

Honour can be used to substitute for a Keyword value where appropriate, but failing the test results in your Honour score being lowered.

Glory in L5R has a social-status underpinning. By treating this as a Relationship this can be taken care of... ...and lets you have a rating for both Empire and Clan (or whatever).

Doug.